Swollen hands after giving birth, not able to lift more than 1kg

My wife is of 35 years old and we have been issued with 2nd baby child in the month of Sept,2012 through operation. After some day of baby birth, both the hands of my wife has got swelling and now she is not able to pickup any things having more than 1KG of weight . In latest which we have got it done, we found high ESR i.e. 52. Can you please suggest the reason of this problem and remedial measures for the same.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012
May 2013
The possible causes for the swelling of her hands are :
- Anemia can lead to generalized edema, that can manifest as hands swelling.
Loss of blood during delivery can increase this possibility.
-Hypertension in pregnancy can also lead to edema of the body. Hypertension can continue after delivery also.
-Intravenous infusion during delivery can also lead to swelling of hands.
-Hypothyroidism can lead to generalized edema of the body.
-Decreased renal function can lead to edema.
During pregnancy, increase in ESR is common finding.
So, let her consult gynecologist once, get examined.
With her advice go for investigations like hemoglobin estimation, blood pressure estimation, renal function tests, thyroid profile etc.
Possibly by these investigations the cause for her problem can be identified and treated.