Swollen hand due to tight hair tie put on the wrist. What to do?

I went to sleep with a hair tie on my wrist which I have many times but when I woke up this morning my wrist really hurt so I took it off along with a bracelet that I have worn for 7 years as it felt tight also. I didn t think much off it but a few hours later I noticed the top of my hand on that side was significantly swollen. Is that normal?
Asked On : Tue, 21 Aug 2012
Hi Kelly,

Welcome to heathcare Magic!

The swelling on hand is definitely not normal but the method by which it got produced is expected.

You should remove the constricting band at wrist and keep the hand elevated about half foot above

the hearts level all the time till the swelling completely goes away.

Clench and unclench the fist intermittently to pump the extra fluid to get quicker result.

Take Care!