Swollen foot, painful. Reduced when elevating legs. Treatment?

hi my mom is suffering from foot swelling which pains sometimes. this swelling of feet is since 15 days in only one feet. she elevated her legs while sleeping which reduced swelling in morning and then increased during the day. she also soaked her feet in cool water. can you please suggest me some good treatment for this i will be highly obliged . Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information about any medicine she is taking.

After reading your post, it seems that your mother is having postural edema in her feet.
It occurs due to standing or sitting for long durations and decreases gradually on elevating the legs.

Still you should get some investigations like :-
1. Hemoglobin level.
2. Kidney Function Test.
3. Thyroid profile.
4. Serum Protein levels.
5. Urine examination.

Treatment can be planned according to the reports of the investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you.