Swollen finger, stiff and painful. X-ray shows left index finger avulsion fracture. Can an MRI help ?

Smashed my finger with a hammer while working 5 days ago. Went to urgent care and got an x-ray, was told that nothing was wrong and it was just a bruise/ sprain . They told me the head radiologist would overview my xrays and call if anything was wrong. They gave me 6 5/325 vicodin for the pain. Got a call today that I actually have a left index finger avulsion fracture ....still very swollen, very stiff and very painful. Radiologist told me to stay in a splint for 4-6 weeks. ...Since the original doctor didn t know about the avulsion fracture do you think he/she would give me more pain medication to deal with this throbbing pain? Also, I know the seriousness of a avulsion fracture is hard to identify through x ray so how do I know if my ligament isn t torn as well? Would an MRI tell me any more about the injury?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012