Swollen eyes, steaming water, got hit by branch. Treatment?

I was out in the garden yesterday and got hit in the eye by a branch fast, it hurt straight away I went inside and washed the eye out straight away and then seemed fine. Then late yesterday evening my eye stated to swell upper eye lid and water running woke this morning and eye is very swollen and still steaming water is this serious? What can I do to bring the swelling down?
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Dear Elle, Hi, From your history I believe you have got a blunt trauma in your eye.The cause of swelling in your lid may be due to hemorrhage in and around lid area where the friable vessels have bled.You must use some ice packs in your eyelid area with your eyes closed instead of warm water. If there is pain ,take an analgesic tablet and use some antibiotic drops if it has hit inside your eyes.If your vision is normal and just swelling is present then no need to worry as it will subside down in a week.But if you have decrease in vision , discharge , redness, pain etc ,visit your nearest ophthalmologist...TC..Dr Ajay Shankar Kar
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

What one can see or feel may not reflect the whole picture.
In a sensitive organ like the eye, it is wiser to be examined by the eye specialist (Ophthalmologist) - to exclude hidden damage and late complications...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck