Swollen elbow after a fall. Will this become serious?

Hi Dr,

I had a bit of a hard landing on my elbow about 2 weeks ago. The inital bang hurt but the pain soon wore off. The next day my elbow had swollen quite badly but had no pain at all. Since then the swelling has decreased in size but it has now got slightly bigger, harder and is quite warm. Could you provide me with some advice as one of my friends said that they had to have there elbow drained from the fluid as it was poisonous?

Thank you,

Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Hello, it is nothing like poisonous fluid but we have to see if the swelling is intra articular fluid or swelling of surrounding soft tissues. You need to have a clinical check up and a x ray elbow AP and lateral view. This much will be enough to help you. Thank you