Swollen bump on thigh, unable to put pressure on leg. Will icing, elevating it help?

Hi, I fell off my bicycle and now there is a very large swollen hard bump on the front of my right thigh? It hurts pretty bad. I can t put any pressure on that leg and I can t really move it very well without using my hands. Should I have it looked at or do you think I can ice and elevate it to save the trip to the ER on thanksgiving weekend?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Thanks for writing in.
I am sorry to hear that you had a fall and large swollen bump in front of your thigh. If you are unable to walk and if the swelling is very painful and significant which is showing no signs of reducing, you may have to visit ER. As you say a hard, swollen large bump, it can be a muscle hematoma. Diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination.
Ice and elevation will give you temporary relief.
Hope this helps.