Swollen, bruised shin with severe pain due to collision. Suggestions?

My son was in a soccer game yesterday and collided with another player. His shin seemed to have taken the brunt of the collision. He was down for a couple of minutes but did continue to play the remaining ten minutes of the game. Afterwards, he was in a good deal of pain. The shin is swollen, with a blueish general bruise and then a reddish vertical line where the impact must have occurred. We gave him ibuprofen, iced it, and elevated it. He says it was feeling a tiny bit better when he went to bed. This morning it hurts more again. He can put limping pressure on it but not full pressure and he says the bending motion of walking hurts. Wondering if we should still consider getting an X-ray?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013