Swollen and redness in toes, hard to touch, stiffness, tingling sensation. Should I be concerned?

3 of my middle toes on my right foot are swollen and red. They are hard to the touch and stiff to move. They feel partially numb, but also give off a slightly tingly sensation when touched. This has been going on for the past couple of weeks but how severe they get comes in cycles and depends on how much I walk. I m wondering if I should be concerned?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

According to your description , pain and swelling over your seems to be inflammatory in nature. Numb and tingling sensation could be due to compression of nerves fibres by the swelling itself.

I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination and rule out any infective cause.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.