Swollen and red tonsils, white spots, taking Amox K Clav. Fever, no pain. What is this?

My son has swollen, red tonsils with large white spots on them. Rapid strep and culture came back negative and he s been on Amox K Clav for 5 days and they seem to be getting worse. His voices is very muffled. He has not had a fever , no pain and has not been tired or refused eating or drinking. He is 4 years old and generally in good health. His dr s have no clue what it could be. Have you heard of anything going around that sounds like this and if so what is it? Thanks so much!
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012