Swollen and itchy shin, looked squishy and painful, bruise on shin spreading. Solution?

Hello and thank you in advance. I am curious about something unusual that has happened on my right shin . A little background: I m a very active, healthy, non- smoking female. I have a 13 month old daughter, who I carry often. I had a strange pain and itch on my shin the other night. When I looked, it appeared as if a vein was raised and slightly bumpy. It looked squishy and it was painful to the touch. It had an itch/allergic reaction sensation to it. I was not bit by anything. It happened at night, somewhat out of the blue. The swelling is gone and the pain is also gone but there appears to be a bruise now which has spread and grown in size. I haven t bumped my shin. I am perplexed.
Asked On : Sat, 31 Mar 2012
It seems that you may be having irritant or allergic contact dermatitis on shin of leg. There may be some cause. Soap,clothes,dust,pollens,insects...etc may cause. But, your lesion is improved and you have no complaints except bruise,which may be due to excessive scratching , do not worry. Take antihistaminics like levocetirizine and apply mild steroid cream to prevent further itching... I hope you may be alright within few days. Still, you consult dermatologist .. I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel M.D.