Swelling, soreness in right hand, unable to extend fingers, twitching, numbness in arm. Causes and treatment?

I woke up yesterday and my right hand was swollen and sore. my ring and pinky fingers where curled and i could not extend my fingers all the way,every little bit a sharp pain will go from my wrist to my sholder. a few hours after getting up i could no longer move my pinky finger but it would twitch, and my hand would start tingling then go numb for a few min. today the only diffrence is i can move my pinky again. i do not have insurance and dont want to go to the hospital inless absolutly nessasry. so my question is what could have caused this and should i go to the hospital?
Asked On : Wed, 18 Jul 2012