Swelling, redness over toe, pain on applying pressure, swelling on standing for long hours, X-ray showed absence of fracture

My family Dr has seen my 2nd toe swollen and red/purple. He believed it was in the joint where the toe meets the ball of the foot . Xray s were negative to a stress fracture which he suspected. I have pain when applying pressure to the ball of the foot and when I try to curl that toe up. My doctor did not believe it was gout or RA. But Has been sore for two weeks. When on my feet all day entire ball area of foot can swell up. any clue?
Asked On : Sat, 28 Apr 2012