Swelling, redness and pain on the toe, joint pain, discoloration, soreness. What is wrong?

I have swelling , redness, and pain at the base of my big toe nail. There is no joint pain, or discolouration of the toe/nail. It has been steady pain and swelling for about a month and a half (I have recently moved overseas and I m really trying to avoid an expensive bill!). It is sore to the touch, but I can put weight on it without too much of an issue. I have also recently begun seeing swelling in my other big toe in the same area. It is not sore on the sides, such as an ingrown would be. Because there is no join pain, I am doubtful this is gout , and I haven t suffered a recent trauma/injury. Please help!!
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013