Swelling, pain in small toe. Two holes present. Wound cleaned, treated with polysporin. Treatment correct?

My husband has been complaining for the last few weeks about a pain in his small toe . The other night when I was examining the swelling . I notice an awful ordor and a brown and white substance at the base of the little toe and next to the fourth toe. After further notice, there was two holes in the skin. We washed the wounds with antibacteria soap and treated it with polysporin . It looks a lot better today, but has lots of white around the two wounds. We continue to wash it twice a day, put rubbing alchol on it several times today, dry and then reapplyPolysporin. Are we treating it correctly or should he go and see his doctor.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013