Swelling, pain in lower back after falling. No help with medicines. Saw coagulated blood before. Suggestions?

Hello, my name is jemima. im 31 years old. im married and have 2 children, 6 and 7 years old. i weigh 180 lbs. i fell down on the 8th february, from a terrace which has 3 stairs. i got much pain from my lower left back, with swell very much. i put arnica gel on it, and ice. i thought it would be ok. but no. 1 week later, i went to hospital. i made x rays. they saw a little failure- i don t know how to say that in english. i mean no facture. the doctor gave me antbiotics. a week later, i went on my rendez vous. swelling same size. she told me it would take time to flatten, and gave me calcium carbonate and vitamin b complex. today i went again to hospital for my rendez vous. another doctor consulted me and said there is coagulated blood and need to be removed. he said i should make an echography, then go back towards him. i haven t do it yet. my questionis why i have this swelling all this time- 1 month. it still hurts but not like the first day i fell. two doctors say two different things. on the first days i saw the coagulated blood. it was green black in colour, but now i see nothing only the swelling. please help me to understand my situation. thank you jemima
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013
Hai Jemima,

Thanks for writing in,

From your history it is clear that it is nothing but haematoma (clotted blood). Usually when haematoma resolves, it changes its color from green to black and disappears. Sometimes if there is some haematoma in deeper layers of tissues, then it might take time to resolve. Since Xray didn't show any fracture, pain has decreased and you are able to do routine day-to-day activities, there is nothing to worry. But one month is quite long time for a haematoma to resolve. So, its better to do an ultrasound and confirm whether the blood collection is still there. If it is there then surgically removing the collection or just aspirating it by wide-bore needle will help in relieving your symptoms.

Get well soon,