Swelling on the hand post a hard punch, X-ray showed no fracture, had experienced similar swelling earlier. Cause?

hi a few years ago I got into a fight and after landing a punch my hand swelled like a balloon starting at my Middle knuckles and spreading to my whole hand and it turned black , I did not seek medical advice and the swelling went away after a week then yesterday I punched a door frame while messing about with a friend and my hand again swelled In the same way after xray no break was found so what is causing this huge swelling every time I punch ?
Asked On : Mon, 28 May 2012