Swelling on foot, discolouration, pain, bruising across base of toes. History of diabetes. Treatment?

I hit the top of my foot rather hard the day before yesterday on the wooden rocker of a chair. It immediately started swelling with only a smallish discoloration at the impact site. I elevated it, wrapped it & iced it. By evening, I was able to put weight on it but still very painful, mostly if I didn t keep the foot straight. Yesterday it is still swollen, very sore to the touch and uncomfortable to walk. This morning I noticed that the initial mark is gone but bruising has spread across the base of my toes. I m concerned. I am also diabetic and I know taking care of my feet is very important. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to get x ray of the foot to see if te is any fracture. If they s report comes normal then you can continue ice, rest and compression bandage. Also keep your sugar under control. Avoid prolong standing.