Swelling on fingers with continuous pain and itching due to excessive salt intake. Is taking plenty of fluids a solution?

Hello. My name is Jim. I wanted to ask about salt intake. I have recently began to develop swelling on my fingers and they itch and pain incessantly... I mean like bloated fingers and swelling at joints where it is more predominant on my right had and foot . After research, it seems it may be due to salt intake. Is drinking more water a solution to flush out excess salt? As some sources stated that if it is water retention, then more water will make it worse? I am already seeking to reduce salt intake, but after a week there is no change.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012