Swelling of left wrist. Throbbing pain if rotated. What could this be?

I m 49 years old. For the past 3 weeks my left wrist has been killing me. The outer side is a little swollen, feels puffy and tender to the touch. I haven t fallen or pulled it in any way. It hurts extremely bad when I turn it and a constant throbbing pain. NO pain in my fingers or palm of my hand . I ve keep heat on it all night for several days and doesn t help at all. What could this be????
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013

I have studied your case,
As you said there was no injury/trauma to your wrist.
As per your history there is possibility of De Quervain's tenosynovitis.
Physiotherapy like USG and TENS will help in relieving symptoms.
Avoid twisting activity of wrist.
Till time continue your medication.
If not relieved local steroid injection will help, you can take that after consulting your treating doctor.

Another probability of carpal tunnel can be considered in which there is swelling over wrist .There is nerve compression near wrist which leads to pain on movement.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.