Swelling of hands after sleep. Taking ibuprofen, benadryl, water pills. Will I be okay?

About once every 3-4 months, part or all of one of my hands swells while I m sleeping. The most recent occurrence was just my left ring finger; before that it was half of my right hand. I ve tried everything that I can think of: ibuprofen , Benadryl , water pills, ice, heat, hydrocortisone cream, elevating the hand...nothing helps. I ve been th the doctor twice for this (the last time to have my wedding bands cut off), and both times I ve received a steroid shot, With the shot, I can make a fist again within 12 hours. Without the shot, my fingers/hand stay swollen for at least 2 days. There is no itching or puncture/bite marks that I or my doctor can see. There is no joint pain, just slight pain and discomfort from the extreme stretching of my skin. I cannot think of anything that I do differently before going to bed when this happens. Please help! Thank you!
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013