Swelling in thyroid, hypertension. FNCA showed few clusters of benign follicluar cells. Undergo thyroid lobectomy?

Hello Sir, My query is for Dr. Manoranjan ,MD ( Thyroid Specialist ). Recently my husband has a swelling in his left thyroid for which we immediately went to the ENT for treatment . First he gave some antibiotic for 7 days ( Fibolyte and Serratiopeptidase ), so that it would subside but it did not for which he asked us for the USG of thyroid and FNCA of the left Thyroid. The FNCA report was as follows:- Aspirate yielded 0.5 ml of brownish colored fluid. The smears show degenerative changes, few clusters of benign follicluar cells. Fair Hemosiderin layden Macrophanges and scattered inflammatory cells. Capillary clustered &/or psamamma bodies are not seen . Impression : Benign degenerated cyst of the thyroid My husband (40 Yrs) on hypertension medication since last 3 yrs (Telma H 40) He is asked to undergo thyroid lobectomy . Is it necessary at the very first place (b coz some say its OK even if it is there as its benign)? and if yes what are its side effects. do they really change the voice quality and how long does the procedure take? What complications may arise during the procedure ? Will he need to take thyroid supplements after the lobectomy. Kindly guide us as we are not able to make decision as the area to be operated is really very delicate.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013