Swelling in the testicle with pain. Had hernia surgery. Could it be due to a cyst?

I had hernia surgery in Dec 2012. they put mesh in. Now my left testicle swells and have terrible pain. This comes and goes, but sometimes last for 10-12 hrs, then may not bother me for 2-3 days. Notice it more if I lift anything very heavy. I had a ultrasound done Monday and they didn t see a hernia (of course it wasn t bothering me when I had test done). They are saying it could be a cyst . It feels and acts exactly like the hernia before surgury. what are you thoughts, could it be a hernia and not show up on ultrasound since it wasn t hurting at that time?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013