Swelling in the ring finger. High sugar and cholesterol levels. Is there any side effect of steroid injections?

Hi Doctor,

My husband facing problem as swelling his ring finger of right hand with pain. one year back his ankle swelled and not able to walk for 1 week. and it cam to normal recently.but some times its paining. he is not having any bad ahabits.We went full body checkup on feb end(diabetic master check up).after all those test(uric accid, blood,urin, sugar,ecg,treadmill,xray(chest,finger,anklwhich having pain etc) we got following reports having abnormal things.

ESR: 50
TSH: 6.98
light glysaroids cholesterol: 218
sugar hb1 level is bit more

we consult rheumatology, they suggisting one injection of depomedrea(dont know exact name) steroid injection. is it good? will it having any side effect?Can we take this.
And he is suggesting some more blood test to confirm.

Can you guide us for the above thing.
His Age is 36, and height :5.9, weight 75.
By look wise he having little belly. Recently he changed his food habits he is following oats less oil food.

May i know which how to proceed forthur.

Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013