Swelling in the right knee, advised to take steroids. Safe since has diabetes?

my mom is suffering from swelling at her right knee joint ...though her RA factor shows negative her doctor advised her to take steroids along with HCQS,Folitrax,Folvite,Omna cortil, because my mom had a bout of SLE 10yrs back.i just wanted to know how safe it is to take steroids as she is diabetic.and what are each of the medicines for? also its been only a couple months since she developed a swelling ,so how different are DMARDS for RA and how effective.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012