Swelling in the neck, overweight, irregular menstruation. Do I have goiter?

I think I have a goitre . I was at my at my gp last Monday and she is referring me for an ultrasound . Since this appointment I have noticed the swelling increasing to the base of my neck and I have now had a dry cough and a headache for the past two days. Could it be the airway is compromised making me cough so much my head aches? I am 43 yrs old, overweight but losing weight and eating healthily losing around 9 pounds since early January. I have also been known to have an irregular cycle intermittently missing a period 2-3 times a year. My mother had told me that my fathers mother had part of her thyroid gland removed due to a goitre in her 40s. I have also struggled with fatigue for the past 2 months now.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013