Swelling in the finger spreading to the hand. Getting treated with antibiotics. Right treatment?

My father woke up with a site swollen finger . Couldn t bend it without pain. It quickly spread to his hand . Within hours half his hand was swollen abd painful. He went to walk in clinic and they are treating it like an infection with intravenous antibiotics . There is no bite or wound present. Does this seem like the right treatment?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Sep 2012
Diabetologist 's  Response
DEAR SIR/MADAM

ANTIBIOTICS WILL WORK ONLY IF YOU HAVE ANY SIGNS OF INFECTION, IT IS EITHER EFFECTIVE IN TREATING INFECTION OR AVOIDING INFECTION.
MY FIRST QUESTION IS DID HE HAD ANY SIGNS OF INFECTION, OR IS IT A SIMPLE INFLAMMATION. I DON'T THINK INTRAVENOUS ANTIBIOTICS ARE REALLY NEEDED IN THIS CASE, A SIMPLE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS WILL DO THE WORK
BUT IF YOU GET ANY SIGNS OF FEVER THEN YOU CAN START ORAL ANTIBIOTICS.

THANKS.