Swelling in leg. Had stroke. have only one kidney. Symptoms of kidney failure?

my 78 yr. old mother has increasing swelling of the foot up to the thigh on her right leg. she had a stent put in about 12 years ago, after a stroke . She does not have any pain at all. The swelling is to the point that I can not get any kind of shoe on her foot. It has been increasing over the last 2-3 weeks. She only has one good kidney . Are there any other signs that it might be kidney failure? she won t go to the doctor.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013