Swelling in left foot with a large bruise. Painful. How to get rid off this pain?

Yes, I have been having swelling in my left foot to the point of not being able to get my shoes on for the past few days. Yesterday, a large bruise showed up on the back of my left leg, right below my knee . It is just a little painful. What would cause this to just show up for no reason? My feet have always swelled but the swelling in my left one has been way more than what is normal for me. Please advise. Thank You!
Asked On : Wed, 1 Aug 2012