Swelling in hands, turned purple looks to be water retention. What is the cause?

Hi Doc, my brother has just had a 18 hour in total flight and is struggling with what it looks to be water retention. We spent the day at the thermal pools and his hands got so swollen and wrinkly that it turned almost purple, didnt look right. He said it was pulsating and very tender, what is the cause of this and should I force him to get it checked out or will it sort itself out, would appreciate your advice. He s stubborn and insists he s fine but I beg to differ....Thx Debbie
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
The description of symptoms are suggestive of a spasm of the arteries in the hand. This can be painful and cause color changes. It s important that you see the doctor and take treatment to resolve and prevent recurrence.