Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Based on the description of symptoms, I suspect that you could have suffered a hematoma
infront of the knee which might have tracked down along the fascial planes down into the leg.
The management of hematoma is as follows -
- Protect the injured area from further injury
by using a support or splint
- Rest the injured joint . Avoid activity for the first 48 to 72 hours.
- Ice packing the painful area for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day
- Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow.
- Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling.
- Use simple analgesics like aleve
Hope this information is helpful. Good day