Swelling, bruises on knee, sore to touch, unable to bend fully. Treatment?

After a roller derby practice I removed my knee pads and my right knee immediately began to swell. I don t have pain when I walk and can bare weight with no problem. It is 4 days later and the swelling hasn t gone down despite icing multiple times a day, elevating and resting. At day 2 tiny bruises started to appear on the inner part of my knee. It is sore to the touch. I can t fully bend it but can t tell if that s because of the swelling.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would recommend you to get the MRI of the knee joint to confirm if there is any ligament injury is present. It can be a cartilage or meniscus injury. I also want to suggest you to wear a knee brace till you get your further diagnosis. Take Brufen tablet for pain and swelling. Also keep on applying ice over knee.Do not bend knee or just bend it enough that pain allows .