Swelling below knee due to fall, no skin tear, edema in ankle. Tried icing and elevating it. Sprain symptoms?

I fell yesterday outside and developed immediate swelling below my knee but not to the ankle. I did obtain a skin tear in the area also. I am 69 have rheumatoid arthritis and frequent leg swelling. My ankles had about 1+ edema yesterday. I can walk it is painful I have put ice elevated and wrapped with an ace wrap the edema is no better today. Could it be sprained or strained instead of a fracture?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013