Swelling around the wound area, difficulty in raising voice, throat irritation, cough post hemithyroidectomy. Affect my vocal nerve?

Hi. I had hemithyroidectomy 10 days ago. I feel fine except for the swelling around the wound area. However, I have lost my voice range; I can t raise my voice and if I attempt to do so, there will be no voice coming out. Also, my throat is irritated still and every time I drink water, there is irritation around the throat and I will cough . My doctor said that I should recover my voice in a few weeks but I m worried that the surgery has affected my vocal nerve. And if so, should I seek medical help with a ENT specialist now or is it too early and that I should wait out for another couple of weeks.
Asked On : Wed, 18 Jul 2012
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
You should wait for the wound to heal since its just been 10 days since your hemithyoidectomy. Surgery of the thyroid must have caused mild trauma to your larynx or voice box. You could wait until a fortnight n then return to your doctor. Avoid screaming loud or talking for long periods.