Swelling and redness over on small toe, others slightly swollen, pain increases on standing, history of heavy weigh drop, insect bite. Advice?

Hello Dr. Mintz, Is there a plausible explanation for not seeking emergency yet with the following circumstance: The small toe on one foot is swollen and slightly red. Over the past 24 hours, the other toes have swollen slightly, as well as the top of the foot. Pain is minimal mostly, but upon standing, it gets more intense. Some notations would be: 1. Injury to big toe several weeks ago where a weight was dropped on toe and bruise led to part of nail dropping off. 2. Possible bite after visiting an uncle who keeps shoes just for such an occasion as a visiting nephew. We sat outside and tried on shoes. I had a sock on, but this the event in which I noticed swelling . It has spread over the past 24 hours. Ants, spiders, and the like could be the culprit. I felt nothing. There is not a raised lump, but the little toe appears to have a specific spot that is red and contains the most swelling. There is no fluid present in the foot, just spreading swelling to the other toes and to the top of foot. Not much pain while reclining, but upon standing, the pain begins. Please advise. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 6 Sep 2012