Swelling and purple bruising in the calf muscles. Do I have circulatory problems?

i have always had circulatory problems in my feet and calves, when i would get off of work at mcdonalds my calves would be purple and swollen, my feet would hurt and tingle or even sting. i couldn't walk for 2 hours. ice packs and elevation and diabetic socks made it bearable. this was 2 years ago. today i look down and i see a 1 inch area right above the right ankle purple and swollen, painful.......i woke up with it. I think i had a vein burst
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Presence of purplish discoloration of ankles and calves after standing for long duration suggests stasis of blood and vascular pathology.
You need to get some investigations done to find out the cause,
Doppler studies of the lower limb will help to know the status of vessels and blood flow in the lower limb.
In case, any vein is incompetent, it can be removed surgically.
I am afraid that the purplish discoloration on your ankles is permanent and it will not go off even after surgery.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal