Swelling and pain on knees and behind while walking. Cause?

In the past 6 months I started having pain in my my knee and behind it after walking on the treadmill at my gym. I usually walk briskly and on an incline. I bought new shoes thinking that was the problem because my other sneakers were about a year old. It did help the pain in the front of my knee, however, I still have pain behind my knee and a small amount swelling . What causes this and should I ice it? I don t want to stop doing cardio. I m 53 and weigh 101lbs.
Asked On : Sat, 26 May 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response

I am a cardiologist and thank you for writing in.
You have ideal weight and perhaps you are doing cardio exercise as recommended so that you can avoid seeing cardiologist as a patient altogether. I would urge you to desist from doing treadmill exercise, brisk walking, cycling and briskly climbing stairs till you have pain and swelling in your knee. y If it still does not relieve, see an orthopedic surgeon. That does not mean you can not do cardio exercise in which legs are not used for example. You can make a punching bag yourself and hit it as boxers do wearing boxing till your quota of exercise is completed. There are some gadgets available which you can choose from exercise machine shops which involve that knees are not needed while doing exercise. Boating is another form of exercise game I can think of but wear your knee cap on the affected knee(s)

Best wishes.

Dr Anil Grover