Swelling and pain in lower back and tailbone after fall. What could it be? Have joint problems

Hello I have been to the emergency room now twice in the past week due to fall down cement steps that caused a back injury. They er say my tailbone is really bruised. I have taken the anti inflammatory meds they prescribed me but still Im having severe swelling and pain in my lower back and tailbone. The swelling is most extreme on the left side of my lower back, the left side of my tail bone and upper left part of my buttocks .The pain is there as well and shoots down the back of my hip thru my left buttocks n through the back of my thigh the meds nor ice is keeping the swelling down. I am concerned because the pain and swelling is still nothing is relieving it not even sitting/resting Ive kind of lost faith in the emergency room so curious what could it be and what should I do? I believe if the did a ct or mri scan it would have shown more of what could be wrong but the er would only do an xray ... I do have sacriiliac joint problems and bulging discs but this fall injury has seemed to make my back hurt more then what I am used to and able to cope...What more could be wrong or what could have the ER possible miss considering as a diagnoses? thank you for your help~Jacqueline
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012