Surgical repair scheduled for stress fracture of the metatarsal due to delayed healing. Risk of infection due to low WBC. What to do?

I am a very healthy 48 year old female. I recently had a stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal at proximal. Due to delayed healing the the potential for Lisfranc my doctor was scheduling surgerical repair. We got my labs back and my white blood count was at 3.5 on one report and 3.9 on another. My doctor refuses to perform surgery due to the risk of infection . What are your thoughts on the low white blood count...should I be concerned or is my doctor being to cautious?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013