Surgery for ruptured appendix.Precautions?

my 5 yrs son had raptured appendix with peritonitis,open surgery done,what precaution should be taken?any food restriction?he doesn t want to take food from his zero age.his growth is not done satisfactorily.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012
Thanks for writing in.
In the first 24-48 hours post surgery, nothing is given from the mouth. After that, start a light diet of dal, rice, khichdi and soft, easy to eat items.
You will need to spend time with him for eating as it is very important that he does not stay malnourished.
For making him eat, try and make what he likes, make food colourful and try to make things which are energy dense like kheer. Also, try and make things which have lots of food groups like pulao which have both rice and vegetables.
Hope this helps
General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
Hope this helps