Surgery for lower back cyst, itchy and green pus coming from it, infected ?

i had surgery on January 26th, it was a cyst on my lower back, i am now recovering, but it is very itchy, and a little part of it is green and let out a piece of green fluid out, a very small amount, still green i suppose isn t good, does this mean it is infected? Help...I m scared
Asked On : Wed, 8 Feb 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello. Welcome to HCM.
Post operative wounds will ooze for a couple of days before definite healing. Yes, a greenish discharge is not good and signnifies different pathogens, but the organism must be documented after appropriate investigation. Now, usually in surgeries, a patient is given broad spectrum antibiotic cover for ample period of time and usually it will tackle most organisms. So, you need not worry, if you have undergone this antibiotic therapy.However, please be alerted to any increased or foul smelling discharge. Take care.