Sun burnt without being out in sun. Why is he growing darker?

My otherwise perfectly healthy 3 year old son looks like he has a constant sunburn on his face, but he has not been out in the sun for 2 days now. He is very fair (as is all our family), so I first thought of sunburn, but it has not decreased over the last 3 days, and looks slightly darker red, especially at night, even under his eyes. He is not running a fever , no cough , no runny nose , nothing out of the ordinary besides the redness of his face. Any ideas?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Jun 2012