Suicide survivor with loss of memory, weight gain. Suffer from schizophrenia. What is this disease?

Hi Sir, One of my relative attempted suicide by hanging but she survived, but she lost mental balance, she finds difficult to remember things, she cant do household works, she is gaining wight because of anti-psychotic, Doctor said she is suffering schizophrenia but i m not sure that Doctor has detected diagnosis correctly..... whats is this disease please guide me sir.

Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

As she has attempted suicide and also post suicide attempt she has started behaving abnormal. She is not able to remember the common things, she couldn't do household work, and she is on antipsychotic. Most likely the cause may be-
- Due to psychopathology because of Schizophrenia. A lot of patients commonly in response to command hallucination attempt suicide.
- It may be due to severe depressive episode. In severe depressive episode individual tend to forget things and may behave abnormally. It is also called as depressive pseudo dementia.
- It may be due to guilty post suicide attempt, and may be due to dissociative disorder.

But to comment definitely more detailed mention of symptoms is must. I will advise you to take her to a Psychiatrist for proper evaluation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
Sorry to meet you here.
The symptoms you mentioned may correspond to Schizophrenia, depressive disorder, dementia and behavioral problems.
Correct diagnosis is of utmost importance for the proper management and treatment.
Clinical psychologist is the person who can help you here.
There are several tests available to correctly measure the psychiatric illnesses.
Correct diagnosis means half treatment is successful.
wish your relative speedy recovery.
Psychiatrist Dr. Srinivasa S.R.R.Y.'s  Response

Welcome to Health Care Magic

Schizophrenia is a chronic disabling psychotic illness. Patient has symptoms like hearing voices without anyone around (auditory hallucinations), suspiciousness that someone is trying to harm them (persecutary delusions), suspicious that people are talking about them (referential thoughts), poor personal care, lack of goal directed behavior, sometimes suicidal thoughts. Your relative has attempted suicide by hanging. When one tries to hang herself there is pressure on the blood vessels passing to the brain. This causes hypoxia (decreased oxygen supply to brain). Some people after hanging attempts may loose their memory. Weight gain is a side-effect of some of the anti-psychotic drugs used in schizophrenia. If it is problematic your doctor can try changing the antipsychotic drug to another group which doesnot cause weight gain. Once the symptoms improve she can participate in house-hold work as other normal people. But she needs to continue medication and be under regular follow-up for a period of atleast 2 to 5 years.

Thanks and regards
Dr Srinivas SRRY