Suggested abdominal ultrasound to rule out aortic palpitations and possible aneurism. Normal cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Do I need to go for ultrasound?

I am extremely aggravated. I went in for my yearly exam (female, non smoker, non drinker, 35) and my doctor suggested that I should have an abdominal ultrasound to rule out aortic palpatations and possible aneurism. I have no history of this in my family and have normal levels on everything including cholesterol and blood pressure . He said that he could see palpatations and said that it was probably just because I am thin. I told him that I have always been able to see that and that during both of my pregancies nothing abnormal was found. Now the doctor is trying to charge me an office visit for this, while also billing for my yearly exam. I had the ultrasound done at a separate facility (only because he freaked me out about an aneurism and I couldn t sleep for fear I had one). Can someone please tell me if this is acceptible practice and if the doctor had any reason at all to suggest that I needed these tests?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012