Suggest treatment for trigeminal neuralgia

Is Turmeric curcumin related to NSAID's? I've had gastric sleeve surgery and cannot take them. I recently was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and so far am getting to relief from the toprimate that has been prescribed. tramadol with tylenol really doesnt work either.
Asked On : Fri, 10 Mar 2017
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Trigeminal neuralgia can be managed with drugs like tramadol, toprimate, carbamazapine etc.
However, division of trigeminal nerve the definitive treatment when drugs fail to control the pain.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Dentist Dr. Honey Arora's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As Trigeminal Neuralgia is the nerve of face and any disturbance in its function like is a large artery impinging over the nerve causing damage of the Myelin Sheath [ a protective cover over the nerve] leading to severe electric shock like pain..

Other causes are disorders like Multiple sclerosis, tumour compressing the nerve, physical trauma etc..

So in these cases neurotic painkillers are helpful rather than NSAID's.
So in case if Topiramte is not helping you, you can consult your Neurologist and discuss about it so that he can advise you other classes of drugs like Carbamazipine [Tegretol] and Gabapantin for relieving pain..

Hope this helps..

Regards..