Suggest medication for swollen and chapped lips

Umm actually since two days I am experiencing some kind of problem on lips.... in the beginning I thought dat Ihav chapped lips but my lips were in a good cndition n just aftr sumetime Ifelt some irritation on d upper lip on d sides Ifelt like somebody has cut it wid a knife ... n now Ihav some small grainy kind of things on my lips n dey r red n lil swelled up n its hurting very much even if I tlk or try to eat something is it some allergy or do I have any illness? N wat is the cure for dis?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Jan 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain it seems that you are suffering Chapped lips leading to making them dry and inflamed causing swelling..
It can occur commonly due to dehydration,malnourishment, allergic reaction causing dermatitis, fungal infection etc..
I would suggest you to start applying thick coat of petroleum jelly over the lips and do it frequently throughout the day..
It will help in locking moisture and prevent dryness by providing lubrication..
Beeswax containing lip balm is also helpful..
Avoid excess sun exposure or exposure to very dry and cold wind..
Avoid licking the lips as it further evaporates moisture from the lips..
You should drink plenty of water..
You should take multivitamin supplements..
Exfoliate your skin with a gentle scrub..
In case if there is no resolution in a week consult a Dermatologist and get evaluated and he can do a microscopic examination of the scrapings from the lips to check for infection and treatment can be done accordingly..

Hope this helps..

Thanks and regards.