Suggest dosage of Amoxicillin for the treatment of sore throat

I weigh 107 lbs. I have a bad cold, sore throat. Went to the Dr. late this afternoon. I had taken over the counter medicine around 3:30 p.m. He gave me a prescription to fill. I did, well just went out to take a pill and it is Amoxicillin 875mg. This is a very high dosage, with my weight I was wondering if I dare take it. Reading up on this medication usually for an adult it is 200-500 mg. Do I dare take it or wait and call the Dr. back tomorrow to see if he made a mistake when ordering it for me??
Asked On : Sat, 4 Nov 2017
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
**
Thanks for contacting with your health concern

1. Amoxicillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infection [ such as sinusitis, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, bronchitis, ear infection and infection of skin] and will not work for viral infections [common cold, flu]

2. I usually prescribe the dosage of this drug according to the severity of a sore throat, and since I haven't examined you personally, thus you can calculate or later discuss with your attending physician, regarding the same:

i. for mild to moderate sore throat: 500 mg every 12 hours or 250 mg every 8 hours

ii. for a severe sore throat: 875 mg every 12 hours, or 500 mg every 8 hours.

till then:
- maintain good oral hygiene, rinse your mouth after every meal, avoid smoking, tobacco chewing, spicy/fried foods, have warm salt water gargles.

PS. Your attending physician must have taken due consideration in ordering the medicine and dosage for you, you can take it as prescribed and to allay your anxiety can ask him again the next morning.