Suffering with ulcerative colitis, taking medicines, LFT not good, persisting mild liver swelling. Will continuous medication affect the body?

I am suffering from Ulcerative Colitis from past 8 years. Presently (last 5 years) I am taking Mesacol & Azoran as medication and the condition is under remission since then. However, now my LFT test was not very positive and I am having mild swelling on the liver . I would like to know whether continuos medication will have any major impact on my body?
Asked On : Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Taking medications for Ulcerative Colitis should not have a major impact on your body. It is actually very beneficial to keep your colitis under control, even if you have to take those medications for the rest of your life.
The LFTs being elevated however is concerning. You may want to discuss with your doctor regarding further evaluation, since Ulcerative Colitis is associated with a liver disease called "PSC" or Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, which if it's advanced you can end up with a liver transplant.
Also, Azoran can cause an elevation of liver enzymes if your blood levels of the medication are too high.
I don't mean to scare you, as there are many other causes for elevated liver enzymes, but you should definitely follow up on the liver enzymes ASAP. You may need a dose adjustment of your Azoran.
The only way to certainly diagnose if you have PSC is with a liver biopsy, but again I would recommend you checking with a liver specialist or gastroenterologist.
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagicForum

Hi..Nikhil.., long term treatment will have effect on the liver, kidneys..,
since no other option, medicines will be give to you... but you need to
improve the nutrition of your food, and need to maintain good health..
also the dosage of the drug will be tapered and stopped ,when the condition of the body is normal..

Take care..