Suffering with gynaecomastia, using prodeep 60 from a long term. Has Prodeep caused this issue?

hello sir..I am nandish age 29..i am taking prodeep 60 from 8 years after consulting doctor...i am facing gynocomastia problem...i want to take surgery but doctor told to get confirm by that prodeep 60 is really cause of gynocomastia or not...because after surgery i might face again gynocomastia problem...please help me sort issue that prodeep 60 tablets really causing this problem..please let me know..
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012
Hi Nandish,

Thanks for using Healthcaremagic,

You are using Prodep(Fluoxetine) for long duration yes it can cause Gynecomastia as it is known to increase hormone Prolactin.

If there is no other cause detected for gynecomastia and your doctor may want to do various tests including prolactin level.

Treatment option are surgery Liposuction or Mastectomy you have to discuss with surgeon.

Yes if it is due to drug it can recur if it is possible to withdraw the drug or switch some other drug in consultation with your treating doctor.

Medical treatment Raloxifen like drug to be discussed with treating Physician.

Hope this information helps you

Good Luck
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D