Suffering with extreme elephantiasis, under laser treatment, have peeling area on calf and leg, treatment done on the upper thigh. Correct?

My son has extreme elephantitis in both legs. He started getting laser treatment, which we belive is helping. On one leg, there is a large round size area of outer layer of hardened skin that is peeling off. I think this is good because the laser stimulates new cell growth even though it looks really bad right now. The area peeling is on the same leg, on his calf , but the treatment is being done on his upper thigh. Am I correct that this is a good thing?
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012

Your son seems to have developed superficial skin burns due to the laser treatment that he is on.
This is not a bad sign at all.
It is a simply a side effect of the laser treatment.
I would advise you to take proper local treatment of the area.
You should keep the affected area clean and dry.
Apply a topical antibiotic cream over it twice a day.

You might need oral antihistamines to bring down the surrounding redness.

Dr Geetika Paul